Welcome to the Jazz Audition page. Your audition is due June 8th. Submit your audition on Flipgrid. It will be labeled Jazz Audition Only on your Flipgrid page, so please only post on that prompt. Results will be posted on this page some time after June 17th. Here are important items for you to know:
- Jazz must be taken as your SECOND elective, with Symphonic or Intermediate as your primary elective, depending on which of those 2 you make (no audition for those, just based primarily on your work from 1st 3 quarters this year). Jazz can not be your one band elective if you make it.
- If you are auditioning on a flute or clarinet for a Jazz Sax spot, you use the one labeled with your current instrument and play it on your current instrument. If you make it, you will be placed in the jazz sax section and we do have some school-owned jazz saxes if you make it and need one. (Don't worry - fingerings are similar and I will teach you them the first few weeks of next school year.) Example of someone who makes it: Play flute in Symphonic, Sax in Jazz, etc.
- If you are auditioning on bass guitar, you need to play the bass guitar for your audition. Text Mr. C at 850-583-6989 to check out a school bass if you can not acquire one at a music store.
- If you are auditioning on French horn for a Jazz Trumpet spot, please audition ON your FRENCH HORN. Do not go out and get a trumpet. If you make it on FH, we will talk about how to get a trumpet as your second instrument for Jazz when school starts. (Fingerings are very similar) Example of someone who makes it: Play French Horn in Symphonic, Trumpet in Jazz.
- If you are auditioning on Piano, use the page labeled and try to interpret the chords like I do on the recording - follow the recording example.
- If you are auditioning on drums - use a drum set if you have it at home, if not use a snare or practice pad and follow instructions on recording I post below.
- If you are auditioning on sax, trumpet, trombone or euphonium, you are auditioning on the instrument you will play in Jazz.
Flute, clarinet and sax Jazz auditioners use the following printable music and the instructional recording.
Trombone, euphonium and Bass guitar Jazz auditioners use the following printable music and the instructional recording.
French Horn and trumpet Jazz auditioners use the following printable music and the instructional recording.
Piano and guitar Jazz auditioners use the following printable music and the instructional recording. Percussion print it and only use the bottom of the page. Also, percussion use the last instructional recording below.
For Percussion only below.